Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pumpkin Seeds

I made pumpkin seeds last night---this is the recipe/directions I used:



Step One

Separate the seeds of a freshly carved pumpkin from the stringy membrane. Rinse the seeds just until they are free of any membrane matter.
Step Two
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step Three
Put the seeds on a paper towel and let them dry for a few minutes.
Step Four
Spray a baking sheet with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray or brush with a light coating of vegetable oil. Put the seeds on the baking sheet in a single layer, turning to coat lightly with the spray or the oil. Sprinkle the seeds lightly with salt, if desired.
Step Five
Put the baking sheet in the oven. Cook the seeds for 10 to 20 minutes, or until brown and slightly crisp, turning once. Allow to cool before eating.
Step Six
Store seeds in an airtight container.
Tips & Warnings
Pumpkin seeds can be eaten with the outer shell on or off.
For a saltier treat, boil the pumpkin seeds in heavily salted water for ten minutes, then bake them.
Also try additional seasonings on your seeds: cajun seasoning, worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt are some possibilities.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY. I'll be doing that this week. We have a ton of pumpkins for just me and my daughter. I wait till day before halloween to carve the pumpkins so they last.

Rose of Sharon said...

I love to roast pumpkin seeds too!

I wanted you to know that I tagged you! I hope you'll play!

Blessings! Sharon

Jenn said...

Yummy, it's been awhile since Ive made those!

Lori said...

Sounds yummy. I may have to try this recipe with our seeds from our Pumpkin this year.