Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Bagels

I made bagels over the weekend, and promised to post pictures. When I do make bagels, I like to make them on the weekend so I have them for the week--my son loves them for breakfast before school---my daughter likes to eat them anytime.

I added all the ingredients in the bread machine in order it was given and put it on the dough cycle. After the dough cycle I put the dough on a lightly floured counter and started my water. I then made 9 balls--->
Then I poked a whole in the center of the dough balls and twirled it around my finger to make the whole big-->
(My daughter helped me twirl)
Let them rest for 10 minutes---> Boiling water should be ready too
Then I place a couple bagels at a time in the boiling water--for 30 seconds on each side--->
They all get placed on a clean dish towel out of there water bath---->
*Note--don't use paper towel--it sticks bad.
Then the bagels are placed on a cookie sheet that has corn meal sprinkled over it--->
Baked for 20 minutes or so---I don't let them get too dark, because we toast them in the toaster when we want one----and I don't want them too dark---->
Here is the recipe I used:


Bread Machine Bagels
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 Hours 25 Minutes
Ready In: 3 Hours 55 Minutes
Yields: 9 servings

"The bread machine does the heavy work, but you still boil and bake these bagels. Top them with poppy seeds, garlic or whatever pleases you."

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 quarts boiling water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
DIRECTIONS:
1.
Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting.
2.
When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar.
3.
Cut dough into 9 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 10 minutes.
4.
Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
5.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.
This recipe appears in the Allrecipes "Tried & True Favorites" cookbook.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2007 Allrecipes.com


14 comments:

Mimi said...

What beautiful looking bagels. I'm impressed!

Candy said...

Hi!!
Thanks for this post...Im going to try making them for the first time!!!
:)
Candy

Cherish the Home said...

Wow! I'm definitely impressed, those bagels look great!

And oh my, it was 86 degrees last Saturday where you live? Wow, how hot does it actually get in the summer then?

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Anonymous said...

Bagels are one thing I just can't live without, and these look so good!! I will have to try making them. The step by step pictures you included are great!!

Have a happy Tuesday!! :-)

Jodi said...

Julieann, Bagels (oddly enough) are intertwined with my high school memories. There was (and still is) a family owned shop right next door to the school. There were innumerable covert "bagel runs" made by many a high school student (and teachers) and more than likely still are! Yours look absolutely perfect! In fact, you've rather put me in the mood for one! :o)

Tammy said...

You are just too awesome for words! =) I'm going to have to try my hand at bagel making!!!

Kelli said...

Oh, I have got to try these, they look SO good!!! My kids love them with cream cheese for lunch. Thank you for sharing the pictures and recipe!!
Kelli

Anonymous said...

These look great! I have never made bagels before.

Maggie Ann said...

Your bagels look absolutely delicious ...looks like you brought them home from the bakery to boot! My daughter's friend has a bread machine and her bread is sooo good. If only those machines could cut out calories....'wink'. =)

Christine said...

They look scrumptious. Thank you for sharing

Paula said...

I'm definitely going to give these a try! They look yummy!

Bethanie said...

Looks yummy-I'm going to have to try these.

TO BECOME said...

Those bagels look just wonderful. I am getting the recipe and thanks a lot. I love bagels with cream cheese. connie

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I found you on a link from Tammy's site. These look SO delicious. We just love bagels with about any kind of topping!

Can't wait to try out this recipe!

Take Care,

Trixie