Monday, September 28, 2009

Pumpkin Tureen



1 Short, wide pumpkin (about 10 pounds)
Vegetable oil

Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375'. Trim stem, if necessary, so pumpkin will fit in the oven on bottom rack. Cut a lid from top of pumpkin, slanting blade of knife slightly towards center when cutting the so lid will not slip into shell. remove seeds and fibers. Replace lid. rub exterior of pumpkin with oil. Place pumpkin on jelly roll pan. Bake about 1 14 hours of until flesh is tender but exterior skin is still firm. remove any liquid from inside pumpkin, using a baster. Carefully scrape some pieces of cooked pumpkin loose from shell, leaving in bottom of shell to be spooned up with soup.
(This is not my pumpkin, but this is the only Pumpkin Tureen picture I could find when I googled.)

I usually make Parmesan Pumpkin soup--You can google that, there are tons of awesome soups for the pumpkin tureen. The recipe I use consists of chicken broth, cream, Parm cheese, onions, garlic, pumpkin. Here is a recipe I found close to what I do, except I use more cheese in the recipe and I add cream:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that great idea
I have been looking for something like that.
Also on fall days I like
to make chicken noodle soup
and with dumplings
and carrots added.

Pamela in NE Ohio