Thursday, October 01, 2009

Thursday!

Last night, for an entree, I made a Potato Leek soup that I got off the Internet. It was such a great hit, that by the time I thought about taking a picture it was all gone. So if you are wanting to make a very easy soup, that is soooo good and comforting, try this recipe:)
(Photo and recipe is courtesy of SimplyRecipes )


Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Ingredients
3 large leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only the white and pale green parts, chop.
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*
2 lbs potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
Marjoram - dash
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Tabasco sauce or other red chili sauce
Salt & Pepper
*If cooking gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free broth.

Method
1 Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan. Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown leeks! Browning will give leeks a burnt taste.

2 Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan. Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add a few dashes of chili sauce to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste.

Serves 4-6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a busy day here, in my household, all the kidlets are still sick~~~This cold just hangs on.
Tonight's dinner is going to be chicken. Last night, I made pork chops and peas and carrots. Stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer, salad served first, Potato Leek soup served second and then the meat and veggies. It was a good dinner. Now tonight, I am going to try a new dish, I bought some penne pasta, and I am going to add a can of spicy tomatoes that I got at the store, served next to the chicken:)

Well, I am just trying to keep my household picked up, and taking care of the littles. Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Charree said...

Mmmm...that soup looks so tasty. I will have to put that on my menu. Is it filling enough to be a meal in itself or better as an appetizer?

Have a blessed day!
~Charree