Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thursday's Post!


You have a choice, you have a choice to wake up in the morning happy. You can wake up unhappy and then make everyone else around you miserable too---Even on days I feel sad or I am worried, I get out of it--I Let Go and Let God---and I smile--it really works if you smile--your whole body starts to change and feel better.

I was at the grocery store the other day and I was deep in thought--I had a lot on my mind and I was in the beauty isle trying to pick out the best shaving gel for my son---I was staring at all these cans, and I was standing in front of the cart with the baby as he was looking at a book. This woman came through, she must have been about 75--and she said---*You have a smart baby* I giggled and said, *and how do you know that?* She said *His eyes--- Look at his eyes*

She then smiled and told me a few interesting facts about herself and how she raised 12 children and it was very interesting, she said, this was back in the day when women stayed home with their children--and I stated, *I stay home!*---and then the last thing she said to me, I will never forget--she turned and said * By the way, I want to tell you, that I can tell you are the kind of person, that has a mind of your own and does her own thing and does not worry about what any one thinks about it--you are your own person* I thought, wow! I have friends, and I have even a few very dear best friends--my dearest friend of 20 years, is not married, no children and can still act like a 20 year old--we are so different, but I love her--and then my SAHM friends--think staying at home, means putting their kids in boys and girl club and going to a spa...When they ask me what I am going to do today, and I say, I am going to bake some bread--they say, you know you can buy bread at the store---Oh well---are they truly happy--I suppose they are very happy--who wouldn't be--but are they truly happy---when everything is said and done, when their children are grown and they see a young girl with a baby, will they turn to her and tell her something so profound or will they look and say *your nails and hair are so nice--I remember going to a spa when my children were babies*---

So after writing all that, I am going to put on a pretty dress, and then my favorite apron--and I am going to do some laundry, bake some bread and take care of my family--all with a smile--because this is what truly makes me happy!!!! :)

11 comments:

Jenn said...

You are a sweetheart Julianne. What we remember when we grow up or when someone beloved passes are all the little things and moments that make up life, things that bring us to the present moment with others is what we remember and cherish. So many people are bound by the past and afraid of the future, they are not living right here and now.

When I really think, all the treasured moments in my life is when I was really *there*. How much more meaningful when others can be there with you in that same moment. Children are so good at this, and we learn a lot from them if we don't allow ourselves to be distracted from real life. It's something I am so glad i have learned, but wish I would have learned a lot sooner!!

Hugs,
Jenn

Sondra said...

What a sweet story. It is so great that you can stay at home with your kids. I was also fortunate enough to be able to stay home with mine. I started working later when mine got older. I love that you are so happy cooking and being a mom. That is what having kids is TRULY about! You can never get those years back.

Kimberly said...

Most of my friends are SAHM, but they're never actually home. It's weird to me as well, but they think I'm a little off, too. Oh well. We are happy! Have a great week!

Rose of Sharon said...

What a neat lady you met up with! I want to be like that when I am 75 and I want to encourage the young mothers with their babies. Staying home with your kids and being a full time wife and mother is such an important role. You will never regret it. Believe me, I am on the other side with my kids mostly raised and I am so blessed that I had the wonderful opportunity to be a stay at home mother for them. I took my job as wife and mother very serious and I am proud to say I was good at it! Now I work 24 hours a week outside the home and I still strive to be the same housewife. You are doing a great job Julieann!

Hugs, Sharon

Rose of Sharon said...

What a neat lady you met up with! I want to be like that when I am 75 and I want to encourage the young mothers with their babies. Staying home with your kids and being a full time wife and mother is such an important role. You will never regret it. Believe me, I am on the other side with my kids mostly raised and I am so blessed that I had the wonderful opportunity to be a stay at home mother for them. I took my job as wife and mother very serious and I am proud to say I was good at it! Now I work 24 hours a week outside the home and I still strive to be the same housewife. You are doing a great job Julieann!

Hugs, Sharon

TJ said...

That was an amazing encounter! I don't stay at home, but admire women that do. I'm one of the crazy people that went back to work right away after having my babies, even though I didn't have to. But I'm blessed to have a Mother-in-Law that is retired and can care for them.

You are absolutely right, spa treatments aren't going to encourage a young mom in the future. I think you will have so much to share, you already do!

Anonymous said...

I love your outlook, perspective and always positive.

I'm always smiling. You are right it does change your mood.

I'm right there with you on your perspective

I cherrish every day with Kiera, because I have lived it with the older two and although I can realize now how fast time will go.

and forget nails at a spa. Making mud pies! Now that is fun :)

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

How lovely! We can get so much wisdom from that generation! And although I don't bake my own bread - YET! - I share your sentiments on the rest!

Mrs. U said...

"So after writing all that, I am going to put on a pretty dress, and then my favorite apron--and I am going to do some laundry, bake some bread and take care of my family--all with a smile--because this is what truly makes me happy!!!! :) "

Oh Julieann!
I LOVE this part of your post!!! And I agree with you 10000000%!! Taking care of my family is what truly makes ME happy, too! Not to mention it makes my family very happy, too!!

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post but like Mrs. U I *really liked* your last paragraph. It made me want to go and do the same thing! (o;

Blessings!

Becky said...

Amen! We are so blessed and lucky to be at home, taking care of our precious children, and making a haven for our husbands!