Tuesday, April 01, 2008

My Hummus and Pita Chips:

Hummus:

INGREDIENTS:
1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini <---I added 3 Tablespoons
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
PREPARATION:
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.----
*I did not do this part--->Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.

This is what my hummus looks like--it was really yummy--I kept eating it. Next time, I make it, I am going to add artichoke hearts to it--and --mmmmmm
Pita Chips: They turned out sooo good!



Ingredients:
6 pita rounds (6-inch size)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Directions:
Split pita rounds to make 12 rounds. Stir together garlic and oil; brush over insides of rounds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stack pitas; cut stack into 6 wedges. Place wedges in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets; bake at 400° for 5 to 6 min­utes or until crisp.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelli said...

Oh, that looks so yummy, Julianne!! My mouth is watering. :0)
Hugs,
Kelli

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that sounds soooooooo good.

Becky said...

Your hummus looks delightful, I will try it, thanks for posting the recipe...though I will add the olive oil. I think I'll try the artichokes too.

I used to make my own baked corn tortilla chips, before I had kids...they are so tasty, crunchy, immensely satisfying, and pretty healthy for a chip. I really need to pick that habit back up, because they are much more satisfying (and less expensive) than store-bought baked chips. Thanks for the inspiration to get back in the kitchen! (Though I don't know how you get so much cooking done with a baby...I love to cook, as you know from the past, but I haven't cooked or baked as much as I did before Ava was born.)

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing your recipes. It looks so good! Especially the chips.

Thank you for sharing the recipes. I am always looking for new things to try, when I find the time. :)

Lori said...

Oh that sounds good.

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my site. It was good to hear from you.
I'm going to catch up on your site a bit.

Becky said...

Julieann...if you don't mind my asking, how many cups does your hummus recipe yield?

I've put all the ingredients on my shopping list. :-)

Unknown said...

That hummus looks great. I have been wanting to make some of my own. I buy it at the grocery store but figured making my own would be cheaper.

Where do you get the Tahini?

vicvic said...

I just had to come check out your family's HAIR! And I had to laugh when I saw the pictures, lol! You do have a lovely family.

I'm sort of scared of hummus myself, though I have thought about giving it a try again - I'll save your recipe and try to work up the courage!

Mrs. U said...

I just LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE hummus! Mr. U says I put too much garlic in mine. TOO MUCH GARLIC??????? How dare he say that! LOL!!

Your recipe looks yummy!! And I will definitely need to make your pita chips!

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

I made the hummus and pita chips this last weekend. My husband and I loved the hummus and chips. My son just loved the chips. He would not even try the dip. I could not find tahini, so I added just a touch of toasted seaseme oil to the mix. It turned out pretty good.

Tammy

Anonymous said...

I made the hummus and pita chips this last weekend. My husband and I loved the hummus and chips. My son just loved the chips. He would not even try the dip. I could not find tahini, so I added just a touch of toasted seaseme oil to the mix. It turned out pretty good.

Tammy

Julieann said...

yay!! I am so glad to hear you liked the hummus and pita chips. Yes, the Tahini was hard to find--I actually found it in the ethnic isle---on the very bottom shelf, near all the middle eastern foods--in between the mexican food and the asian:)

Julieann