Monday, March 10, 2008

Grocery Store:

Did you know--you should only shop the perimeter of the grocery store and leave the middle alone? ( A very wise woman once told me)

I try and buy and cook as healthy as I can---My kitchen is always stocked with fruits and veggies--if it can be homemade--I do my best to make it. I have actually conquered a lot of my cooking fears--like yeast breads--that was a big one, now it is no big deal...LOL. Then when I found out I could make my own salad dressing, especially ranch--I thought that was soo cool. Even better, I made my own mayonnaise------The list is endless of the things we can create in the kitchen.

About those fruits and veggies---I also believe in letting kids be kids--and letting them have that chocolate bar, or that sucker--(I also believe in taking the kids to the dentist on a regular basis too, especially if they eat that sucker--LOL)--etcetra, I truly believe it is when you start making certain foods taboo--they want them even more. Everything in Moderation. Another thing, I will never use food as a reward or a punishment with my kids--that is just not a good thing to do. We eat when we are hungry and stop when we are no longer hungry--I don't eat until I am so full I can't move--I eat until I am satisfied---trust me, that food will be there another time to eat, we don't have to eat it all in one sitting. Anyway, this was just a thought that was going through my head tonight. Jon and Kate is on right now, as I am typing --they just got a piano for one of the girls to learn. Oh, I want a piano--that is certainly on my list for my kids--to get piano lessons.

One more thought before I go--you know those big plastic cars attached to the shopping cart that are so big and clunky and hard to push around, but the kids love to ride in? Well, everytime we go to the store, Alexis begs to ride in one, and I always have an excuse to say no--well, she used to ride in them a lot when she was smaller, but now that she is getting bigger, not so much--today at the store--she passed up the big clunky cart and grabbed the regular for me---I looked over at the big clunky cart and said, Alexis lets use this one today----OH THE SMILE I got from her---she sat in that thing the whole time...LOL. I just kept thinking before I know, she will be to big to ride in that thing--and then it will be too late--but not today:)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked your comment about the ride in clunky cars. Kiera is very tall and barely fits in them anymore. She does still ride in them. You are right, soon as you know it they are too big! Childhood does fly by, doesn't it?

I love your comments about moderation, very true.

Anonymous said...

Cool girl you are. Now pass the ecipes darlin hehe.

TJ said...

Good job on the shopping. Problem is they throw the baking supplies and coffee in the middle, and there is no way I'm passing them up.

My daughter loves the big clunky cart, but only rides in it for about 10 minutes. Then I look dumb trying to manuever the thing around with her next to me.

Rose of Sharon said...

How sweet and loving of you! I love to do those kinds of things with my kids too. When their attitude is right and they are sweet, I love to reward them. We always did the "everything in moderation" thing with food too and my kids have always been really healthy and they like most foods.

Hugs, Sharon

Julieann said...

Ah, yes TJ--there are always exceptions to the rule:D

I have found that coffee and creamer are a lot cheaper at Walmart----and also the toiletries too--don't get me wrong there are days when I walk up and down every single isle-these are the days my husbnad decides he wants to go shopping--and then my budget goes right out the window--I do have to say, those shopping days are fun :)

Thank you all for commenting--I love feedback.

Julieann

Becky said...

I love shopping with my husband too, even though the budget takes a huge dent as well. What is it about men! They do like yummy food, though.

Becky said...

PS Can you post your ranch dressing recipe? I have tried a few and I don't like them very much. I'd love to have your TNT recipe! :-)

Mrs. U said...

This is such a wonderful post, Julieann! I LOVE hearing about your day. I always feel like you and I are sitting here chatting. :)

I love that Alexis got to ride in that cart today!!!!! I can only imagine how happy she was! And you are right- they do grow up SO quickly!!!

Blessings to you, my friend!

His,
Mrs. U

Lori said...

So true about the shopping around the perimeter of the store. . I do most of my shopping around the perimiter of the store too.
(I'm always buying fresh fruits and veggies and milk products, yogurt, breads etc.)
But we do like an occassional snack too.

I do most of our shopping at Walmart too.