Sunday, June 14, 2009

Eat the Colors of the Rainbow!

Some nutritionists came to Alexis's school and discussed to the children about eating the colors of the rainbow. I thought it was so neat. I googled it and there is a plethora of information about this way of eating.

I got this info below, from eHow.


Introduction
Most health experts agree that in order to take in the broadest spectrum of essential nutrients, it’s important to eat as many colors of fruits and vegetables as possible. Here are a few ideas to help you enjoy a broad palate of produce.
Instructions
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Steps
1Step One Red: Cranberries, strawberries, radicchio, tomatoes, red peppers.
2Step Two Orange and Yellow: Carrots, pumpkin, yellow and orange peppers, squash, and sweet potatoes.
3Step Three Green: Dark leafy greens such as kale, bok choy, spinach, and arugula, as well as broccoli, green beans, and snap peas.
4Step Four Blue and Purple: eggplant, raisins, blueberries, red cabbage.
5Step Five White: bananas, mushrooms, cauliflower, potatoes.

Tips & Warnings
Top your cereal with berries or raisins.
Have a large salad at lunch or dinner and aim to make it as multi-colored as possible.
Instead of pasta or rice at dinner, try sweet potatoes or butternut squash.

1 comment:

The Frugal Countess said...

I am definitely trying harder to get my kids to eat this way. I read somewhere that you may have to introduce a new veggie or fruit 15 times (?) to a child before they might eat it. I think we're close to that with my kids and sweet potatoes! lol! But I keep trying!