Monday, April 22, 2013

Epi Pen


This is what the Epi Pen pack looks like.  You get two in a pack and a practice one.  I carry this with me at all times.  Wherever my little boy is his Epi Pen is right there too.  I am forever grateful we have a pen like this that can save his life, it has been with me for over 4 years now.  They expire, so I have to get new ones once a year.  They are 30 dollars with insurance and 300.00 with out.  I asked the pharmacist how much it was without insurance and when he said 300.00, I was shocked!

Anyway, I thought I would share this for those who have never seen one. 

3 comments:

The Lady of the House said...

In my Sunday School class, I have a student whose mother insists on leaving one of those with me in case her son were to need it. Even though I have assured her that I will never serve the children food, candy, or drinks, she insists. I understand her need to feel protected at all times, which is why I have a food free classroom and don't give her a problem over her leaving it with me.

I feel so bad for parents dealing with issues like this. My own little boy has a sensitivity to red dye 40 which causes him extreme stomach pain and vomiting, and now with his palette expander, I have to be doubly vigilant about what foods he consumes. The amount of anxiety I feel over these issues is not small, so I can imagine how parents with children who have serious allergies feel.

Misty Gate said...

I use to carry this everywhere with me too, for years. Luckily we never needed to use it and my insurance had no co-pay, so I never knew how expensive it was! We left a pack at the school and we had a pack at home too.

Sorry you have to go through this, but glad you have something in case the worst happens.

Julieann said...

Maria, I had no idea??!!! Who needed the EPI pen and for what, if I can ask......