Saturday, January 31, 2009

Spaghetti Bake!

Last week, I was visiting Kelli's blog and she had made and posted a picture of a spaghetti dish--it looked wonderful. Sometimes, I will blog hop in need of a dinner idea--and this was just what I needed. I looked over the recipe and there were some ingredients I did not have on hand, like the cream----so I improvised and made a spaghetti bake of my own. I am also going to link to Kelli's spaghetti dish--because it was her post that inspired this post:)

I used one of my large baking dish and I smeared the bottom with spaghetti sauce (half a jar)--you can use what you like jar or homemade--I do both--this time I used jar.


I then browned some ground beef with some onion and drained the grease, I then added a whole jar of sauce--and let it simmer awhile.---I used spaghetti noodles broken up and cooked them just until they were al dente--then I added the drained noodles to the beef and sauce mixture.

I did not have cream so I made a bechamel sauce--and I know how much my husband prefers cheddar cheese to any kind of white cheese--so I added cheddar cheese to the white cream sauce---yes, just like the cheese sauce you would probably make for macaroni and cheese :)


Ricotta--I took a tub of ricotta and added the egg and parsley


After I smeared the bottom with spaghetti sauce I put a nice layer of the noodle mixture in the dish
I then spread the ricotta over the noodles

added the rest of the noodles and poured the bechamel sauce over those
I covered it with foil and baked it about 40 minutes at 350 degrees and then when my hubby was just about to walk in the door I topped it with mozzarella cheese and put it back in the oven on high until the cheese was bubbly and turning golden brown
Enjoy--we sure did!

10 comments:

Mari said...

This looks so good! I haven't heard of bechanel sauce. How do you make it?

Mary said...

It looks delicious!! I'm putting that on my menu for next week! Thanks!!

Lori said...

Hi JulieAnn,

Boy that sure looks good.

MMMNN!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

oh my, you are making me want to try something similar with the gluten free pasta.... hmmmmmmmm :)

Anonymous said...

that looks so good! I think we'll try that next week too :)

Ronda said...

Julieann,
This spaghetti bake looks sooooo yummy. Thanks for sharing this one. I am deffinately gonna have to try this one.
Love & Prayers,
Ronda

Tatersmama said...

Nummy Nummy!
I will definitely give the spaghetti bake a try when the weather cools down !
(it's supposed to be 112F here again today. *sob* )

TJ said...

Yum! I make mine by mixing the sauce, noodles and meat together then topping with shredded cheese. It's a hit at my house, and disappears quickly.

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

YUM, Julieann! Double yum, in fact!

Kelli said...

Oooh....I love the ricotta cheese idea, Julieann! I'm going to make this next time!
~Kelli