Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baby Food

I am 100% pro-breastfeeding---I will not get into debates with anyone about it though--I have been there already---and no one can change my mind about it. Okay, this is not about formula bashing, I promise, this is about feeding our babies---or I should say, this is how I feed my baby:)

Breastmilk is most important, so I always offer my baby the breast before I offer anything else, and will do so until he hits a year--I am also an advocate of self weening. I read somewhere that a mother weened her baby of the breast because she thought it was *gross* to do so any longer after 6 months--that just broke my heart!!! God made the perfect food for our baby, how can anything be gross about it.

Little Kevin is 8 1/2 months and he eats egg yolks for breakfast, with soft bananas cut up--babies should not have the whites of an egg until they are at least a year--it has something to with allergic reactions sooo, I stay away from those for now. I also will not give Kevin any thing with citrus, like oranges or orange juice: to hard on there little tummy. His very first food that he tried at about 6 months was mashed up avocado--all my kids started on avocados, and I never had a problem with it. I have a very good Doctor, he has been a doctor here in San Clemente since 1978 and he is very *Old* school--which I like very much:) With Alexis I made all my own baby food--all of it--with Kevin, I am buying some already made jars--I look at the ingredients and go from there-he loves the Beach Nut tender peas----the ingredients are peas and water, and that is it. He also enjoys mashed sweet potatoes. I buy Yo Baby yogurt, and cottage cheese.

Here is a little run down of his eating day:

Breakfast:
Egg yolk
Smashed or cut up bananas
Sometimes baby cereal

Lunch:
Peas

Snack:
Baby yogurt/cottage cheese


Dinner:
Sweet Potatoes
and I will introduce small soft foods to him, like a small taste of chicken---

He nurses on demand, and he is not that demanding...LOL---I also give (Watered down) juice in a sippy cup and water in a sippy cup--no bottles.

I also wipe his teeth off all the time---to keep them clean.

I hope this post answered some of your questions, if any of you have a question or I missed something ask away

3 comments:

Irene said...

I am right there with you in regards to breastfeeding. In fact, I was either pregnant or breastfeeding, continuously, from Jan 2001, until mid 2007. I was still breastfeeding each of my daughters when I got pregnant with my next. I also breastfed as much as they wanted, and as long as they wanted. All of them bf way over a year. It is a wonderful, wonderful thing. I can't say enough about it. In fact, I even considered working as a breastfeeding advocate through WIC, but just didn't have the time. Maybe someday I still will.

Funny story - my SIL never planned on bf'ing when she got pregnant with her first (her mom never did). But after she learned more about it from me, she decided to do it. She ended up bf her first son for 2 1/2 years!

Anonymous said...

I'm on the same page with you Julieanne. I am also a big cloth diaper nut. I made my own baby food even with my older two kids who are now 22 and 24. I'm a big ingredient reader and I did buy some of Kiera's baby food, but it was always reading labels.

It really upsets me when I read the stories of mothers being attacked for breastfeeding long.

Lori said...

I breast fed too. Derek only a few months. Megan for over a year.
Megan wouldn't even take a bottle.
She went straight to a sippy cup.
Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. Your meal plan for the day sounds great.