Monday, August 13, 2007

Favorite Part

"So early the next morning she began to plan and prepare the dinner. She had brought a baking of bread from home, and with some hot corn bread there would be plenty. pork and potatoes were on hand and she had put some navy beans to soak the night before. There was a pieplant in the garden; she must make a couple of pies. The morning flew too quickly, but when the men came in at noon from the thresher, dinner was on the table.
The table was in the center of the room with both leaves raised to make room, but even then some of the men must wait for the second table. They were all very hungry but there was plenty of food, though something seemed to be wrong with the beans. Lacking her Ma's watchful eye, Laura had not cooked them long enough and they were hard. And when it came to the pie---Mr. Perry, a neighbor of Laura's parents, tasted his first. Then he lifted the top crust, and reaching for the sugar bowl, spread sugar thickly over his piece of pie. "That is the way I like it," he said. "If there is not sugar in the pie, then every fellow can sweeten his own as much as he likes without hurting the cook's feelings."

This happens to be one of my favorite parts of this book--can you name the book?

9 comments:

Jodi said...

My daughter votes for The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder. :o)

P.S. I hope Tony got home safely. Enjoy your remaining summer! :o)

Chrissy said...

The First Four Years, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. The thing about this book that strikes me is what a struggle life was. Laura and Almanzo were deeply committed to each other to have withstood that many hardships...

Cherish the Home said...

Hi Julieann,

I've passed along the 'Nice Matters' blog award to you. Come to my blog for details.

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Kelli said...

The First Four Years!

Lucy said...

Yeah, First Four Years - and I agree with the other comment it is such a hard story. It seems so hopeless.

theups said...

I knew it was Laura Ingalls, but wasn't sure on which book. Looks like everyone else knew it!! I'm going to have to reread them all and SOON!!

His,
Mrs. U

candy said...

Thanks for the comment:) I love when you visit me :)
Come to my blog later to see what I did with everyones names. Not ready yet but will post it soon..

Candy :)

Jenn said...

It's a Little house I just read not long ago..hmm....The first four years? Not sure! I love Rhubarb though!! especially with strawberry!! :)

Jenn

Lady of the house said...

I guessed this without looking at the previous comments -- The First Four Years?