Monday, July 09, 2007

*Ma*

















When I was a little girl, and watched Little House and read the books, I related to Laura--now that I am grown and have a family of my own, I relate to Ma. Isn't it funny how you see a movie one way when you are one age and then you see it a different way later? When ever I feel unmotivated, I just pop in a Little House DVD or read a few chapters of the books and just like magic, I am more motivated then ever. There is just something about seeing Ma in an apron making a pie that makes me want to put my apron on and make a beautiful dinner. Even when she was working in the fields she always looked beautiful. I wonder when I am scrubbing the floor or doing something difficult, does my husband think I am beautiful too..LOL. Us, women now have it so easy. Ma had so much work to do from sun up to sun down--and always had a smile on her face. I remember when my dryer had the wrong plug and my husband couldn't get it to work when we moved---I was in a panic, how was I going to do laundry? I love all my machines, and if one breaks I sure do miss it. I have stated many times and also in my profile, there is nothing I would rather be than a wife and mother. I try and do my very best---Kevin will tell people, that he takes care of what goes on the outside of the house, and that I take care of what goes on in the inside:)

On another note, I received my Above Rubies magazine last week, and I so enjoyed it. They had letters that women had sent in about nursing stories, they were so sweet to read--even more so since I am currently bre*astfeeding. If you have not subscribed to this magazine you just must--it is wonderful.

Well swimming lessons are calling---and then I am going to make some fresh bread. Remember the lists I was redoing in the kitchen? Well, I finished those, and they look so nice. I am keeping my eye out for the school supplies to go on sale, I just LOVE stocking up on school supplies. To all who come and read, have a glorious day--and I will be by your blog too xoxoxox

Ma's photo courtesy of -----Little House Memories

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love Little House too. She does inspire me and I often wonder how women of that day and age got it all done. We have lots of 'servants'...and I can't imagine my life without them!

Congratulations on your blogiversary! Hip Hip Hurrah!

PS. Liked that seed story. REALLY liked it!

Myrna said...

I don't think I would have made it in Ma's day! lol I wonder what they will say about our time a hundred years from now!

I also love school supplies! I saw the racks full at Wal*m*art the other day and had a pang of nostalgia! Being a retired educator it was hard to pass by without buying pencils or something! I guess I'll have to take the grandchildren shopping with their lists!

Lady of the house said...

Ma is an inspiration! I am currently reading LH in the Big Woods. I think one major difference between then and now is that although things were harder, things were a lot simpler. Ma had very few dishes to do, very little laundry to do (by today's standard).... BUT just preparing to do them and doing them was a lot harder than it is today.

Sometimes when I'm loading the dishwasher and also loading a sink for handwashing, I just want to give everything away and have one plate, one cup, one spoon, etc., for everyone. I think then things would be a lot simpler for me.

We moved three weeks ago and just got internet. I missed you!!!

LBP said...

I loved Little House! The lady who used to babysit me made me and her granddaughter dresses like Lauras once and we played "Little House" all summer!

I love, love, love homemade bread. Yum.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of Little House, The waltons, and other shows with that nature. Boy, they just don't make shows like that anymore do they?

theups said...

I LOVE Ma!!! She's so pretty and SO sweet and kind!!! And she's MUCH younger than I thought she was when I was little and watching it!! LOL!!!

I just got my Above Rubies magazine on Saturday. I am halfway through it. Don't you LOVE it!! Makes my heart yearn for more children.

His,
Mrs. U

Kelli said...

Awww..what a sweet post, Julieann! I love Ma and Iwant to start collecting the DVD's soon. I've read teh books many times! The magazine sounds wonderful, I always enjoy reading nursing stories.
Hugs!
Kelli

Anonymous said...

Ahh...I loved Little House...so much that we still watch it every morning. Another great post.

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

I get Above Rubies too and it is excellent!

I have 8 precious blessings!

Many blessings to you...

Anonymous said...

Ma is my role model, too!!! Watching Little House always motivates me, too. When I was growing up, I think I related to Mary the most, but I am ashamed to say there was some Nelly in me, too!! But watching that show when I was 6, 7, 8 years old, actually made me recognize the Nelly traits and try to change them!! Now I hope I can be just like Ma. =)

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful post! I've always felt that I was born 100 years too late, but then again like you, I rely on my modern 'helpers'! LOL On second thought, I probably wouldn't make a very good pioneer woman! I think it's the quality of life, old fashioned morals, and simple pleasures of that time period that I really admire. And those things are timeless...we just have to sift through the daily grind to find them!
Thanks for making me think!
Have a wonderful day!
Amy

Anonymous said...

i just love my Little House Books and dvds. I also have the Prairie Primer, a homeschooling supliment to the Books. I have gone thru it with my 2 older girls but not the 2 younger, I am excited to go thru it again. Ma is inspiring isn't she. Good post. and I am thrilled to see the pictures of your baby--thank you!!!
Blessings

Mimi said...

Yes, when I was a little girl, I realted to Laura. Then, of course, I realted to Ma. Now that my kids are grown, I still enjoy the portrayal of Caroline Ingalls. But, I suppose I could relate to someone even older. Oh, dear, I hope I'm not turning into Mrs. Olsen!