Sunday, August 03, 2008

Roast Skunk--Yummy :o)


ROAST SKUNK

1 skunk, scent bag removed
2 sliced carrots
1 c. clear soup
1 tsp. onion juice

Dissolve 1 bouillon cube in 1 cup hot water. Skin, clean, and remove scent bag from skunk. Parboil in salted water 15 minutes. Drain off water. Then place meat in fresh water and steam until tender, about 1 hour. Transfer to roasting pan and put in oven at 375 degrees. Add 1 cup of clear soup, 2 sliced carrots and 1 teaspoon of onion juice and cook uncovered for 2 hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I am soooooooo Kidding with this recipe:)

Anyway, living here in Southern California--there are A LOT of skunks running around--I bet you did not know that little tidbit. Do you know twice this week--there was skunk that had been hit by a car--and the smell just permeates your everything!!! Kevin said to me--"Julie, I feel like I can taste that skunk, the smell is sooo strong." There is probably not a week that goes by that you can't smell the smell of a skunk somewhere. I could be mistaken, but I don't ever remember smelling skunk in Georgia--okay everyone--if you have skunk near you--let me know:) Anyway, after Kevin said that he can almost taste the skunk--it got me thinking if people ever ate skunk---and yes, sure enough--there are zillions of recipes for this little critter all over the world wide web--amazing--deep fried too--I almost posted that recipe, but I liked this one because I like how it stated to remove the scent bag--ohhh yummy! I wonder if I Google that, I can find direction on how to remove the scent bag---

Do you have skunk near you?---The next post will be about the heard of Raccoons that ran by me:)

7 comments:

Shirla said...

We have skunks here, but there are none in the area I live in. We often smell them when traveling interstate 295 on our way to Walmart though. That is one nasty smell!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julieann,

Well down here in south GA we have lots of skunks (they must've all migrated down here since you never saw or smelled any up in north GA!) HAAA! And yes...the smell does permeate your 'everything'! LOL We call them polecats down here! LOL

BTW, I really enjoyed meeting Kevin! Maybe next year YOU can be at the LR! Chad's mom came and stayed with the children and I went with him. I felt like the lady of leisure! That's the first time in sixteen years (other than visits to the hospital for babies or surgeries) that we've been ANYWHERE by ourselves!
We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in February...so I guess this was a 'practice run'.

Take care and congrats again on that new little blessing!

Hugs,
Amy O.

Sharon said...

When I first saw this, I thought, "NO, not Julieann!" "Surely she wouldn't eat skunk!" :D LOL!

I think February is skunk mating season in GA. That is when we see and smell dead skunks all over the roads.

Anonymous said...

I have none near me ,but that is my favorite smell. Im not joking at all. all my life people thought I was nuts.I never understood why. Then one day it hit me. I lived far away from my gradparents and have few memories of them.One thing I remember is when we pulled across their cattle gap the first thing I would smell is skunk. I think it reminds me of the goodtimes and love of them.

The Frugal Countess said...

We have a skunk (or several!) that is near the beach in Boca Raton, FL! So yucky smelling!!

Ronda said...

I just love ur sence of humor, LOL>
I live in western North Carolina, and Oh My Goodness do we have skunks 'round here. I personally used to have them all around my yard, and nightly they would try to get into the garbage cans. How did I solve that problem..?????
MOTH BALLS...yup that's right, moth balls. I got 2 boxes of the stuff and put them all around my house, and a few in the wooded area near my home. Walla' no more skunks. They hate the smell of the stuff as much as humans do. Give that a try.
Love & Prayers,
Ronda
Have A Peachy Keen Day. :) Shunk Free of course. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes we do! I was totally thinking you have fell off the rocker when I first read the recipe. I am so glad you were joking!